Preparing for laser hair removal treatments? While you’ll certainly have less upkeep when it comes to having smooth skin without any unwanted hair, it’s important to know what to do after the procedures so you’ll get the most out of them.
While the FDA approves it as a safe and effective method for permanent hair removal, you should follow these 7 must-know tips about what to do once you have this treatment.
7 things to do after getting a Laser Hair Removal
- Stay in the shade: If you’re planning to take a trip to the beach or sit out by the pool to show off your newly-smoothed hair-free skin, make sure your laser hair removal treatments occur at least one week before. After laser hair removal, you should avoid sun exposure and even topical sun-free tanning products for 7 days.
- Watch the products you use on your skin: No matter where you have had laser hair removal procedures on your body, certain products you use can irritate your skin. Makeup, topical creams, and antiperspirants should be avoided only on the treated areas for 24 hours after laser hair removal.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing: Soft cotton clothing is an ideal choice when dressing in the next 48 hours after having laser hair removal on your body. Make sure it’s loose-fitting and non-binding.
- Avoid hot water: Hot water is notoriously dry for the skin, but after laser hair removal, it is even more important to avoid it. When watching your face or showering, keep the water lukewarm.
- Apply aloe vera: What should you do after laser hair removal? One of the most important things is to use aloe vera in your treatment area. It must be 100% pure without any additives.
- Wear sunscreen: Regardless of laser treatments, you should always wear sunscreen daily, even if you’re not going to bask in the sun. While you shouldn’t be hanging out in the heat and in direct sunlight for a week after your treatment, even simple tasks like getting the mail, walking to your car, or sitting near a window can expose tender skin to UV rays. Wear SPF 50 or higher at all times during daylight hours to avoid harming your skin after laser hair removal.
- Take a break from your workouts: There will be plenty of time to show off how wonderful you look after your laser hair removal. However, in the first 48 hours following your procedure, you shouldn’t do exercise of any kind. Don’t forget that for permanent hair removal, you’ll need multiple sessions to target the various stages of hair growth and remove them. Between your sessions, you’ll need to prepare your skin so you will have the best results after laser hair removal. That means keeping up with exfoliating your treatment areas, especially 4 to 5 days before your next session.
There you have it. Those are the 7 things you should prepare to do after getting your removal treatment. Now you can safely go along your day.
And no, you don’t have to wait it out if errant hairs sprout up between your treatments. You can safely shave or use hair removal creams, but don’t wax. After you have enough sessions of laser hair removal therapy, you will have permanently removed hair from unwanted areas and can feel more beautiful in your skin.